A Day in the Life: Idiopathic Hypersomnia

Being someone with idiopathic hypersomnia (IH), it causes me to sleep an excessive amount. Sometimes detailing my day-to-day habits is enlightening to outsiders to see how I operate.

While this usually happens by listing out my nap schedule vocally, here I wrote out everything I did for the day instead.

My day-to-day with idiopathic hypersomnia

I made this piece as my day went on, making a grocery list of what I did for the day. I wanted to write out one of my more normal days, but I had no way of knowing how the day would go until after I wrote out most of this piece. So, as a preface, this is one of my more abnormal days, but only because I couldn’t sleep the first few hours of the day. Besides me not being able to sleep until 6 AM, the rest of the day is pretty normal for me.

1 AM: I decide to continue working on a bit of writing and finish off my cold tea (it’s a masala chai!) that I made hours earlier. I always take a bit to finish off drinks since I forget that I made them or I get so focused on my work that I don’t notice I didn’t finish it. When I stop writing I realize I still have a bit of energy, so I clean the kettle and mug I used for the tea.

2 AM: I start winding down for bed, taking night meds, turning on my fan (I sleep best in super cold rooms), and taking off my glasses. I turn off my lights and crawl into bed to sleep.

3 AM to 6 AM: At this point, I realize I have either had too much caffeine or it's an insomnia night. I end up not sleeping at all and, instead, scrounge different social media accounts as something to do.

6 AM to 10AM: By this time I actually fall asleep, wake up for a bit, then fall back to sleep.

10 AM to 12 PM: Sleeping.

12 PM: I wake up again for a brief period and reach for my phone to check my notifications. Since nobody needs me, I end up scrolling for a bit.

2 PM: I wake up after dozing off again. I find my phone under me; I most likely rolled over it after dozing off with it in my hand. At this point I am actually able to get up this time. I throw on some clothes to make lunch.

3 PM: I reheat my pot of masala chai tea that I made yesterday night so I can have a cup of tea while I read my book. I am reading "The Future is Disabled: Prophecies, Love Notes and Mourning Songs" by Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha.

6 PM: I finish up the last few chapters of the book and choose to go out and do something before I run out of energy for the day. I decide to eat fast food for dinner and return an item that’s been sitting in my car for the last week begging me to take it back.

8 PM: I drive back home, and by this point I’m pretty much out of spoons for the day. I shed myself of my second skin (clothes). Then I crawl into my bed to be on my phone until I pass out.

Hopefully this piece shows a bit of what I go through!

By providing your email address, you are agreeing to our privacy policy.

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Narcolepsy.Sleep-Disorders.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Join the conversation

Please read our rules before commenting.