caret icon Back to all discussions

I want to go to college

I'm about to be 27, graduated high school with honors, but never went to college or took any of the required tests to go to college. My husband is in the military, and right now, I dont have a job. But I think I want to be a teacher, probably high school. How do I go about starting this path? Any help is appreciated

  1. Number one out of it all is to connect with that accommodation office through the students with disabilities support. I have other stuff (autism, ADD, CAPD, learning disability) but I managed pretty well prior to narcolepsy-I was often finished with tests faster than anyone and I never fell asleep in class; though I needed other accommodations, I felt less ashamed and less disruptive. It’s imperative you connect with your profs not just through the letter of accommodation but also directly so you can tell them what to expect. And there may be embarrassing surprises, like not just falling asleep in class but falling off the chair, or yelling out in a dream state, or who knows what? Do not be afraid to drop a course if you find the professor is not going to make accommodations without pulling teeth and running to the DSS office each time, or if their style of course makes symptoms worse (sometimes a dry lecture is harder than engaged lessons…but I also have a stress response to TOO MUCH student group discussion, which can trigger my symptoms, so I have to find a balance because you can’t make up learning in class with studying it later). Also look at professor ratings on sites like Rate My Professor, but read the reviews-that should give you a sense of what their style is and if you think it will be a good fit. Start with community college, too, so you can not overload yourself-but also save money. Here’s a secret from the son of professors who has attended many schools: the course material is the same for classes. Look up syllabi for Majors Biology or Abnormal Psychology at the community college, the state universities, the liberal arts private school, the Harvards, the MITs, the Berkeleys…it’s the same syllabus. You learn the same things. That’s why credits transfer in accredited schools. If you are worried networking and internships will be a problem, you can finish the degree or do post-grad degrees at a fancier-named school. And you will save a $100,000 by doing as much as possible through public community institutions, but more importantly here, you will get individualized attention. It’s not easy, I’m still trying to finish, but you can do it with planning. The first semester might be rocky and a learning experience but you will figure it out. For me, the hurdle I can’t get over is the group work because nobody else is awake at my peak work hours (early rising at 1-5am, napping after if needed). But they really love that stuff. Good luck.

    1. This is all fantastic advise, ! Thanks for sharing your story and what helped. Best wishes. - Lori (Team Member)

    2. thank you so much! this is really helpful!

  2. Hi . What a great goal! My sister went to college for her first time at 42 years old and became a teacher. She is still teaching now in her early 60s and she loves it. You can do this! There are so many ways to go about it. Since you likely move around a lot, it might be easier to do it online unless you don't learn well that way. You can either ease your way in with one or two classes to start or dive right in, like my sister did, and apply to colleges as a full-time student. If you want to attend full time in the fall of 2024, now through December would be the time to apply. You will need to complete the FASFA ( sometime in October as well and find a few people who can give you recommendations. If you want to start full time in January, you should probably look for schools with rolling admissions. You can register for single classes at most colleges right up until classes start, or sometimes even a week or so after, though I don't recommend that. Most colleges start this coming Monday, though some don't start until Labor Day weekend. If you are uncertain about anything, call the college admissions office. They will either help you or send you to the right person. That's what they are there for. Narcolepsy is an official disability. So, it would probably benefit you to request accommodations. Here is a wonderful article from one of our advocates about attending college with narcolepsy: I taught English as an adjunct for several years. Some of my best students were non-traditional students, like you. Know that event at 27 years old, you belong there. You actually have a great chance of success because of your life experience and maturity. You've go this! Keep us posted, if you don't mind, whatever you decide. Best wishes. - Lori (Team Member)

    1. thank you so much!

    2. My pleasure! I am excited for you! - Lori (Team Member)

Please read our rules before posting.